Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Yeah, I'm An X Gamer...What About It?

I don't know if it's kosher with my age, but I love the X Games. Every August, and January for the winter version, I set my DVR to record endless hours of ESPN programing dedicated to "All That Is Extreme!"

I personally have never done a kick-flip on a skateboard, or a backflip on a motorcycle, or driven my pseudo-Subaru over 70 foot jumps. Even still I am glued to my TV judging every spin and and grind that these daredevils perform.

I enjoy watching the Games, because these athletes are doing things that I would love to do, but don't have the testicular fortitude for. I'm the guy that gets a little uneasy on roller coasters at Disneyland.

Being a longtime fan of motorcycles, off-road riding, and many things outdoors I easily gravitate to the world of extreme sports.

Three years ago I was jumping up and down with excitement in a Washington, D.C., hotel room when Travis Pastrana landed the first ever double-backflip on a motorcycle. As the announcer commented it was (emphasis on WAS) the Holy Grail of Freestyle Motocross tricks go.

This year was nothing short of awesome. Pastrana attempted to find that Grail again with a new trick only to land flat on his back, with a 300-pound motorcycle nearly landing on top of him. A couple of unknowns (at least unknown to a novice like me) made the street skateboarding event look like child's play. There was even a new event in which 'boarders climb to the top of a 50-foot tall ramp only to grind a rail that spanned a 50-foot gap.

I even watched kids (yes, kids) half my age perform amazing tricks that left me awestruck.

Much like the Olympics, the X Games celebrate the world's best but contrary to the Olympics' mystique the X Games is more about the fun of the sport.

I truly cannot wait until the next X Games are shown, I already have my DVR set to record them.

No comments:

Post a Comment